Riverside School District Superintendent's Office
Mr. Paul M. Brennan, Superintendent of Schools
300 Davis Street, Taylor, Pa 18517 570-562-2121 option 4
Superintendent's Confidential Secretary, Ms. Reba DeStefano
A message from Mr. Brennan....
You are personally invited to our Public Forum on Education. An academic plan for the 2017 - 2018 school year which involves a lot of strategic changes will be showcased. Also, you will be able to see a glimpse of the district's 3-year strategic plan. This is your chance to get involved!
To think differently and collectively, in order to create a vehicle that will inspire a passion for learning, character, innovation, and social responsibility.
Please Note: PSSA scores will NOT be averaged into a student's grade point average for the 2017 - 2018 school year.
Our Plan Moving Forward:
2016 - 2017 SY - We REDISTRICTED our two elementary schools with a goal of providing better collaboration for student achievement, a focused attention on school readiness and enhancing district unity by positioning our students so that they are together as a Viking from day one.
2016 - 2017 SY - We took back an Autistic Support class (grades K-3) at Riverside Elementary WEST. This allowed for our autistic students to be educated within the walls of our schools. It eliminated wasted instructional time traveling and allowed for us to have our teachers instructing and assessing our kids. It also was a cost savings to our district by keeping taxpayer dollars at home rather than paying high tuitions for our students to attend elsewhere. It also allows for us to bring in outside students and charge tuition if we feel that they are a good fit for our classroom.
Key Hirings and Replacements:
08/12/2013 Derenick, Suzanne (Occ. Therapy) <shared w/ OFSD>
08/12/2013 Winters, Natalie (Health / PE)
12/05/2013 Cavanaugh, Ryan (Multiple Certs.)
10/14/2016 Trescavage, Jessica (Spec. ED)
10/14/2016 Vitale, Matthew (Sch. Psych.)
08/10/2016 Krajewski, David (Mathematics)
08/10/2016 Plisko, Jessica (Science)
09/10/2015 Brunetti, Mallory (Mathematics)
02/08/2016 Farina, Karla (PT - Health / PE)
02/08/2016 Smith, Justine (Elem. ED)
02/08/2016 Oustrich, Toni (Elem. ED)
04/11/2016 Yarem, J.T. (K-12 Crisis & Compliance Counseling)
06/06/2016 Howey, Kristy (Spec. ED)
10/11/2016 Hayden, Renea (Spec. ED)
12/12/2016 O’Hora, Lindsey (ESL / Spanish)
Recalled From Furlough:
08/12/2013 McDonough, Lisa (Elem. ED)
09/03/2013 Bennie, Andrew (Elem ED)
09/02/2014 DeAngelo, Elizabeth (Elem. ED)
09/08/2015 Insalaca, Pam (Mathematics / Tech. ED)
1.) What are we doing now?
Meetings for STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT:
- 3/6/2017 (5:30 p.m - 8:45 p.m. - RHS Library - Public Session) Mr. Brennan rolled out a proposal to the school board to enhance student achievement that consisted of four (4) components. The board provided feedback and approved the proposal and the four step proposal will begin the next day. <see Board Proposal> (attending: Armstrong, Bieber, Brennan, Emiliani, Fedor, Joyce and McHugh).
- 3/7/2017 - Mr. Brennan contacted the NEIU 19 to start working on Component 2 of the proposal (A District Needs Assessment). The proposal calls for the outside eyes of trained curriculum experts to examine our data, programs and curriculum. The proposal states that outside eyes are unbiased and an important factor in analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of our district. Mr. Brennan estimated 20 - 40 days for the Needs Assessment to be completed. The NEIU staff will bring the proposal to their staff for further discussion.
- 3/9/2017 (3:45 p.m. - 5:45 p.m. - Administrative Office Conference Room) Topic: What Can We Do as a District to Enhance What We Offer to Our Students? (attending: Brennan, Chisdock, Moceyunas and Walsh)
- 3/13/2017 (1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. - Superintendent’s Office) - The notes from our big board from the meeting on 3/9 were transferred to a document by Mr. Brennan.
- 3/20/2017 (6:00 p.m. - 8:45 p.m. - RHS Library) Topic: STAFFING <see Retreat Notes> Our building leaders presented and defended potential staffing for the 17-18 SY (attending: Brennan, Chisdock, Cole, Moceyunas, Pentasuglio, VanLuvender, and Walsh - also: Bieber, Emiliani, Fedor, Joyce and McHugh).
- 3/20/2017 - <refer to NEIU 19 Needs Assement - below> Mr. Brennan received notification that the NEIU 19 would be interested in completing the Needs Assessment. They met with their staff and have recommended a seven day K-12 Needs Assessment blitz. There will be a Science Curriculum expert, a Mathematics Curriculum expert and an English/Language Arts (ELA) Curriculum expert on the team. One of the experts on the team is also an expert with the Pennsylvania Added Assessment System (PVAAS) - (www.education.pa.gov/PVAAS). The K-12 Needs Assessment will encompass all phases of district curriculum, assessment and instruction components. After thorough analysis, a Needs Assessment / Evaluation Report will be produced.
- 3/23/2017 (9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - RHS Conference Room) Meeting to collaborate on planning a middle school concept (attending: Brennan, Moceyunas and Walsh)
- 3/23/2017 (12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.- Superintendent’s Office) Meeting to recap the academic portion of our Administrative Retreat (attending: Brennan and L. Joyce (Academic Chair).
- 3/27/2017 (10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - Superintendent’s Office). A meeting to firm up the expectations in the proposal for the Needs Assessment. The challenge will be getting everyone’s schedule together, but we are shooting for a mid April assessment. (attending: Brennan and C. Mecca)
- 3/28/2017 (12:30 p.m. - 1:10 p.m. - Elementary East Conference Room) Meeting to review the NEIU 19 proposal (attending: Brennan and C. Emiliani, District NEIU 19 Rep).
- 4/6/2017 (3:45 p.m. - 5:45 p.m. - Administrative Office Conference Room) Meeting for student achievement and Thinking Outside the Box for grades 7 and 8. (attending: Brennan, Moceyunas, Walsh and Chisdock)
- 4/7/2017 (12:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. - RHS Auditorium) A meeting with the 7th and 8th grade faculty. The focus was on the following goals:
- Brainstorm to receive faculty insight for strategic change
- Identify key teachers /leaders who will become part of the reform process for moving forward
(attending: Brennan, Byrne, Chisdock, Cicale, Cole, Davis, DiStasi, Fox, Geise, Gerlach, Haduck, Howey, Judge, LaCoe, Lindsay, Ludwikowski,
McGee, Moceyunas, Radle, Solomon, Taylor, Walsh and Wasalinko)
- 4/13/2017 (12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - RHS Conference Room) Reflect on the meeting with the 7th and 8th grade faculty. Address changes based on faculty feedback.
(attending: Brennan, Chisdock, Moceyunas and Walsh).
- 4/18/2017 (7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - RHS Conference Room) Reflect on the meeting with the 7th and 8th grade faculty and administration. Showcase the working document that is starting to take form.
(attending: Armstrong, Brennan, Fedor, Joyce, and McHugh)
- 4/19/2017 (3:45 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. - Business Office Conference Room) Continue to tweak Student and Teacher Empowerment vehicles while spending time on examining exploratory electives for grades 7 and 8.
(attending: Brennan, Chisdock and Moceyunas)
- 4/18/2017 (10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - Business Office Conference Room) Report out and reflect on progress made for componebt 1 of 4 on the superintendent's plan to the school board.
(attending: Brennan, Fedor, and Joyce,)
- 4/26/2017 (3:45 p.m. - 5:15 p.m. - Buisness Office Conference Room) Look at the Student Empowerment Course, examine schedules and put names to assignments.
(attending: Brennan, Chisdock, Moceyunas and Walsh)
- 5/11/2017 (10th Period at RHS)
Science Department meeting: (Present- Sue L, Dawn, Greg, Lisa, Sue R, Nadine, Chris, and Dave Walsh)
We had discussed the 7 and 8th grade Science and what topics we will include. We also discussed what topics we would want to move into the elementary. We discussed how it would be beneficial if we just had 1 Biology instead of a College Prep and a General Biology. We also discussed to have 1 Physical Science instead of a part I and part II. Another meeting was scheduled.
- 5/11/2017 (10th Period at RHS)
Social Studies meeting: (Present-Dan, Bob, Bobby Jr, John, Christine J, Pat, Christine L, Justin, Steph, and Dave Walsh)
WE had discussed that 8th Geography will be switched to a reading class, possibly Historical Reading. We discussed that we would move the Geograpy down to 5th and 6th grade and it was suggested that ½ year of it be World Geography and the the other ½ be US geography. We had discussed about bringing in a US History III because we never discuss any history beyond the Reagan years. This was a major concern of everyone in the department. We had discussed about moving Gov’t and Civics down to 9th or 10th grade with the possibility of the Keystone test coming.
- 5/11/2017 (10th Period at RHS)
Language Arts Department meeting: (Present: Frances, Tom, Ryan, Suzi, Cathy, Chrissy, and Dave Walsh)
We discussed the new 8th grade reading class and what we would like to see in the class. We came up with ideas for fiction and non-fiction. We want to move towards to critical reading. We talked about possibly moving the co-teach sections to help out Steph with the new reading program.
2.) District Needs Assessment (and Superintendent's 17-18 Goals/Evaluation):
Superintendent Paul M. Brennan was awarded a SATISFACTORY rating on May 8, 2017 by the Riverside School Board.
The Scope of the Work: A CLEAR LENS....
A visiting team from NEIU will conducted a seven-day needs assessment at Riverside School District including two days of administrative consultation, two days off-site for preparation and reporting, and three days on-site gathering data. The assessment will encompass the following curriculum, instruction, and assessment categories:
(1) School-Community Vision for Learning
(2) Curriculum Organization
(3) Curriculum Development
(4) Instructional Methodologies
(5) Student Assessment Practices
(6) Climate for Learning
(7) Administration and Supervision of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
(8) Teaching and Learning Resources
3.) The Riverside SD would like to welcome DOUG WOMELSDORF as DISTRICT CURRICULUM DIRECTOR
4.) A 3-Year Strategic Plan:
A School Based Health Team has been added for the 2017 - 2018 SY.