Math ~ Unit 1
Unit 1: Math Tools, Time, and Multiplication
In this unit, our class will:
- Find differences using a number grid;
- Use tools to tell time and measure length;
- Use number lines to round numbers to the nearest 10 and 100;
- Tell time accurately to the nearest minute;
- Accurately calculate elapsed time;
- Represent data on a tally chart and set up a scaled bar graph;
- Solve equal-groups number stories and record number models;
- Use drawings to represent and solve division number stories;
- Use skip counting or repeated addition to solve multiplication problems;
- Determine the length of day using strategies to find elapsed time;
- Estimate and measure mass
- Know all products for for facts for 1, 2, 5, and 10 automatically;
- Add and subtract within 1, 000 fluently
Everyday Mathematics Games:
Throughout Unit 1, our class will play the games listed below to practice skills and developing strategic thinking. Check your child's homework folder for information as we play these games in class!
- Number Grid Difference (See Student Reference Book page 251)
- Hit the Target
- Spin and Round (see Student Reference Book page 258)
- Multiplication Draw (see Student Reference Book page 248)
Choose one of the sites below to find great activities to work on:
- Number Grid Practice- Complete the different number grids from the links below
- Math 500 Race- Practice Addition/Subtraction and Multiplication/Division as you race your car around the track! What is your fastest score?? (Press "Start Your Engine" to begin)
- What time is IT?- Practice your time telling skills!
- Telling Time- Practice your time telling skills!
- Lesson on Bar Graphs- Refresh your knowledge of the parts of a bar graph and how to read one.
- Math Fact Cafe- Practice multiplication and division facts using flashcards (scroll to the middle of the page to find the "flashcards"
Math Adding- Work with a friend to solve addition problems.
Math Baseball- Practice your addition/subtraction skills by playing a game of baseball.
- MathCar Racing- Race around the track by solving math problems
- Rounding Practice- Click on one of the links below to practice rounding
Rounding to the Nearest Tens #1 Rounding to Nearest Tens #2 Rounding to Nearest Hundreds
- Elapsed Time Practice- Solve Number Stories involving elapsed time
- Clear it! Addition Game- Create an addition number sentence that equals the target number (sum)
- Clear it! Multiplication Game- Create a multiplication number sentence that equal the target number (product)
- Number Grid Fireworks- Use what you know what patterns on a number grid to find mystery numbers.
- Soccer Math: Rounding- Earn your chance to score a goal by rounding numbers
- Multiplication Mine- Practice multiplication facts while mining for gems.
- Math Lines- Multiplication: Practice multiplying different factors to get the same product
- Math Lines- Addition: Practice adding different addends to get the same sum
- Animal Legs- Multiplication is just repeated addition... check out this site!
- Groups of Dogs- Practice Arrays and Multiplication
- Making Arrays- Use arrays to practice multiplication