Math ~ Unit 4
Unit 4: Measurement and Geometry
In this unit, our class will:
- Measure to the nearest 1/2 inch and 1/2 centimeter;
- Collect measurement data and represent it on a line plot;
- Represent triangles and quadrangles with equal side lengths and right angles;
- Recognize and Describe similarities between quadrangles;
- Measure side lengths of a rectangle to the nearest 1/2 inch and write number models for the perimeter;
- Count square units to find the area of rectangles;
- Find the area of rectangles;
- Determine side lengths of a rectangle and write a number sentence for its area;
- Calculate the area and perimeter of rectangles;
- Draw at least two rectangular pens with different areas and a perimeter of 24 feet;
- Decompose rectilinear figures into rectangles;
- Compare masses
Everyday Mathematics Games:
Throughout Unit 4, our class will play the games listed below to practice skills and developing strategic thinking. Check your child's homework folder for information as we play these games in class!
- Name that Number (See Student Reference Book page 249)
- What's my Polygons Rule? (See Student Reference Book page 262)
- Multiplication Draw (See Student Reference Book page 248)
- Shading Shapes
- The Area and Perimeter Game (See Student Reference Book page 230)
Choose one of the sites below to find great activities to work on:
- Measuring Centimeters and Inches- Practice your measuring skills. You can choose the unit and the level of difficulty.
- Shape Surveyor- Calculate the area or perimeter of the rectangle and receive pieces of the puzzle
- Area Explorer- Calculate the area of rectangles
- Adam Ant- Help Adam Ant find the perimeter of different shapes.
- Area and Perimeter Explorer- Calculate the area and perimeter of shapes
- Area and Perimeter- Check out this site to find out everything you ever wanted to know about area and perimeter!!
- Area and Perimeter Party- Design tables for a party using area and perimeter.
- Multiplication/Division Baseball- Practice your multiplication and division skills with America's favorite past-time... baseball!
- Multiplication MATHO- practice your multiplication skills while playing BINGO!
- Multiplication Hidden Picture- answer multiplication facts to uncover a hidden picture
- Planet Blaster- practice your multiplication facts and save our planet all at the same time!
- Strolling with my Gnomies- This is a fun measuring game
- Shape Invasion- Match shapes to each other