Math ~ Unit 5
Unit 5: Fractions and Multiplication Strategies
In this unit, our class will:
- Represent fractions using pictures and words;
- Represent fraction equivalents and undertand that they are the same size;
- Recognize and generate simple equivalent fractions;
- Add a group to a given helper fact;
- Double to find new areas;
- Apply an arithmetic property without doubling;
- Record multiplication facts and recognize whether the products are even or odd;
- Figure out missing factors or products for 2s, 5s, and square facts;
- Identify appropriate multiplication squares to use as helper facts;
- Create equal groups by finding common multiples;
- Decompose a factor into two addends;
- Multiply and Divide Fluently within 100;
Everyday Mathematics Games:
Throughout Unit 5, our class will play the games listed below to practice skills and developing strategic thinking. Check your child's homework folder for information as we play these games in class!
- Fraction Memory(See Student Reference Book page 243)
- Multiplication Draw (See Student Reference Book page 248)
- Salute! (see Student Reference Book page 255)
- The Area and Perimeter Game (See Student Reference Book page 230)
Choose one of the sites below to find great activities to work on:
- AAAMath- Several links to practice fractions
- Crossing the River- Identify a fraction of a shaded part to cross the river.
- Fabulous Fraction- Frank and Fran help you learn about fractions.
- Fraction Flags- Create a flag using fractions.
- Equivalent Fraction BINGO- Classic BINGO game with fractions
- Fraction Fling- Name a fractional part by popping a bubble with a sling shot
- Monster Mansion- Practice +, -, x, and division facts
- Multiplication Mine- Practice multiplication facts while mining for gems