Math ~ Unit 7
Unit 7: Fractions
In this unit, our class will:
- Measure the volume of containers;
- Solve number stories with measures;
- Use fraction strips to identify and label halves, fourths, and eighths;
- Use fraction strips to construct number lines and label the appropriate fractions;
- Label a number line with fractions;
- Use visual representations to compare two fractions with the same denominators or same numerators, and record comparisons with number sentences using <, >, and =;
- Order Fractions;
- Partition number lines;
- Use fraction tools to generate equivalent fractions;
- Model stories using fraction circles, fraction strips, number lines, or pictures to solve problems;
- Solve number stories using collections;
- Add and subtract within 1, 000 fluently;
- Use multiplication and division to solve number stories;
Everyday Mathematics Games:
Throughout Unit 7, our class will play the games listed below to practice skills and developing strategic thinking. Check your child's homework folder for information as we play these games in class!
- Fraction Memory(See Student Reference Book page 243)
- Salute! (see Student Reference Book page 255)
- Baseball Multiplication (see Student Reference Book page 234)
- Beat the Calculator (see Student Reference Book page 237) <3 Mrs. Whetstone's FAVORITE <3
- Fraction Top-it (see Student Reference Book page 246)
- The Area and Perimeter Game (see Student Reference Book page 230)
Choose one of the sites below to find great activities to work on:
- Division MATHO- Practice your division facts using this interactive site!
- Multiplication/Division Baseball- Practice your multiplication and division skills with America's favorite past-time... baseball!
- Multiplication MATHO- practice your multiplication skills while playing BINGO!
- AAAMath- Several links to practice fractions
- Crossing the River- Identify a fraction of a shaded part to cross the river.
- Fabulous Fraction- Frank and Fran help you learn about fractions.
- Fraction Flags- Create a flag using fractions.
- Equivalent Fraction BINGO- Classic BINGO game with fractions
- Fraction Fling- Name a fractional part by popping a bubble with a sling shot