9: Multi digit Operations
In this unit, our class will:
- Recognize factor pairs that result in greater products than a prior factor pair and solve for the products;
- Multiply extended facts;
- Break apart a factor into numbers that children can mentally multiply;
- Decompose larger factor into easier-to-multiply numbers;
- Solve a division problem without using the division key on a calculator;
- Calculate the correct time of day to the nearest minute and determine elapsed time;
- Multiply and Divide within 100 fluently;
- Multiply 2-digit by 1-digit numbers;
- Solve number stories with extended facts;
Everyday Mathematics Games:
Throughout Unit 9, our class will play the games listed below to practice skills and developing strategic thinking. Check your child's homework folder for information as we play these games in class!
- Product Pile-Up (see Student Reference Book page 252)
- Beat the Calculator (see Student Reference Book page 237) ♥ Mrs. Whetstone's FAVORITE ♥
- Multiplication Top-it with Extended Facts (see Student Reference Book page 260-261)
- Factor BINGO (see Student Reference Book page 240)
- Finding Factors (see Student Reference Book page 242)
- Fraction Memory (see Student Reference Book page 243)
- Fraction Top-it (see Student Reference Book page 246)
- Fraction Number Line Squeeze (see Student Reference Book page 245)
- Name that Number (see Student Reference Book page 249)
Choose one of the sites below to find great activities to work on:
- Multiplication/Division Baseball- Practice your multiplication and division skills with America's favorite past-time... baseball!
- Multiplication MATHO- practice your multiplication skills while playing BINGO!
- AAAMath- Several links to practice fractions
- Crossing the River- Identify a fraction of a shaded part to cross the river.
- Fabulous Fraction- Frank and Fran help you learn about fractions
- Fraction Flags- Create a flag using fractions.
- Equivalent Fraction BINGO- Classic BINGO game with fractions
- Fraction Fling- Name a fractional part by popping a bubble with a sling shot
- Clear it! Multiplication Game- Create a multiplication number sentence that equal the target number (product)
- Math Fact Cafe- Practice multiplication and division facts using flashcards (scroll to the middle of the page to find the "flashcards"
- Planet Blaster- practice your multiplication facts and save our planet all at the same time!
- Guess the Number- guess a hidden number to discovery a mystery picture
- Time Travel Game- Practice Telling time with a time traveling cat (select the analog clock)
- High-Stakes Heist- Practice solving number sentences using order of operations (PEMDAS)
- Operation Order- Help Tortisaurus build his stone pyramid by arranging number in the correct order to complete a number sentence