First Quarter Comprehension skills and strategies
1st Quarter Comprehension Strategies and Skills
- Students will use the words and pictures in the selection to tell the important points of the selection
Skill: Main Idea
- Students will identify the most important idea about the topic of the selection...what the selection is all about
- Students will use text and picture clues in the stories to figure out something that is not directly stated in the text
Skill: Understanding Characters
- Students will use pictures and text to understand how characters feel and act in a story
- Students will stop periodically throughout reading a selection to make sure they understand what it is they are reading. If they do not understand, they should reread the selection and look more carefully at the illustrations, complete a flow chart of the events, or continue reading the next page.
Skill: Sequence of Events
- Students will identify the sequence of events in a story and retell the events in order
- Students will record what it is that they wonder about the selection. They should do this before, during, and after reading the selection.
Skill: Text and Graphic Features
- Students will identify the text and graphic features in a selection and their purpose
- Text features are titles and labels in a text
- Graphic features are photos or draings that stand for ideas or add details in the text
- Students will use the illustrations and the text to help them form opinions about the characeters, their feeling, and their actions. They will answer quesions that begin with: Do you think....How do you feel.... Students must be able to tell why they think or feel a specific way about an element of the story.
Skill: Story Structure
- Students will identify important elements of a story; characters, setting, and the plot.
- Characters are the people and animals in the story.
- Setting is where AND when a story takes place.
- The plot is the order of events in the story including the problem and how it is solved.