My Home Page
Welcome to Ms. Donati's Home Page
UPDATE: 4/17 All students have been added to Google Classroom. All you need to do to get started is log in to google with your Username and Password. Look for our classroom there. It is titled 6th Grade Science. When you log in to Google Classroom, make sure you visit all of your classes. Every teacher/class is now located on Google Classroom. Make sure you check in with each of your classes!
**There will be due dates on these mandatory assignments. Please turn them in on time. You will be receiving points for completed work. If assignments are NOT turned in by the due dates, you will not receive credit for them. You must click "TURN IN"/ "SUBMIT" to get credit for an assignment after completing all activities in that assignment. Nothing will be weighted with your grades. Everything collected will strictly be by points you earn.
We may have a few hiccups along the way since this is all new to us, but we will get through this together. Please be patient. You can always email me with any questions you have.
Attention: A little change of plans boys and girls. I am going to post my homework assignments right on this page. After the first week of assignments, I received some emails stating you were having difficulties with emailing or sending assignments back to me. Therefore, I will try to make this easier for everybody.
Assignments for April 13-17
- Monday, April 13: Read pages F14-15 called Waves and Energy; Types of Waves. Answer the following questions...
1. What are the 3 main properties of a wave?
2. How are mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves the same, and how are they different?
3. Thunder is the sound of lightning. Why do you see the lightning before you hear the thunder?
4. Sequence question: How do mechanical waves transport energy?
- Tuesday, April 14: Read pages F16-17, Sound Waves, and answer the following questions...
1. What are the 2 most important properties of sound and how are they defined?
2. How is sound intensity measured?
3. How does a vibrating object produce sound?
- Wednesday, April 15: Read pages F18-19, The Doppler Effect, and answer the following questions....
1. What is the Doppler effect?
2. Review Question #2: Compare a longitudinal wave and a transverse wave. Give one example of each kind of wave.
3. Test Prep: Which is an example of waves that can travel through empty space?
- Thursday, April 16: For today's assignment, sit outside (weather permitting) for 2-3 minutes. Write down every sound you hear in that time frame. Think about the decibel levels of those sounds. Create a table with 3 columns labeled low, medium, and high decibels. Place the sounds you heard outside into the appropriate column on your chart. If you are unsure where to place it, google it, and see what you can find.
- Friday, April 17: Complete Study Guide A 16.2 by clicking on the link below. This is also in your packet.
Assignments for April 6- 10
New assignment for Friday, April 10
***Submit work by clicking on the link below.***
Work can still be checked using the Q & A tab on the left side of the page.
♥ If you are in Miss Dempsey's or Mrs. Grace's class, click here.
- Monday, April 6: Complete Study Guide A 16.1 by clicking on the link below. This was also in your review folder.
- Tuesday, April 7: Complete Study Guide B 16.1 by clicking on the link below.
- Wednesday, April 8: If you can find the materials around your house for this experiment, please try it. After doing the experiment, answer Conclusion questions 1 and 2 on the bottom of page F13.
- Thursday, April 9: Complete the Investigate More at the bottom of page F13. Invent a code for sending messages back and forth (longitudinal waves) to your friends. This can just be a short, little HELLO message you send to your friends and me!
- Friday, April 10: I apologize, but I needed to add one more assignment for the week. This is just a simple Periodic Table Review. I hope you have fun with it!
Our friends from the PROSPER program would like you to check out their HomePage. Just click on this link:https://extension.psu.edu/
Assignments for March 30 - April 3:
Each week I will be posting homework assignments on this site for you to work on. To find the assignments look to the left side of this page, click on My Homework. I will also be available to answer questions daily through my email listed below. This kind of instruction is very different from what we are used to. It will be very difficult to provide the "hands-on" FOSS lessons since I do not have all the materials here at home. The packet you received in the folders were copied from our old Houghton Mifflin science book. It was the closest information I could find that correlated to our FOSS material. Throughout this week we will work on that packet. **These assignments will not be graded.
I will have "office hours" daily from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM. If you have any questions about the posted assignments or need help, just email me. I will return your emails within 24 hours.
**3/31/2020 UPDATE: I am asking each of my students to please send me an email (or Google Doc) informing me of the assignments you have completed. If you decide to write your answers to the questions on a Google Doc instead of your notebook, that is fine. You can just share it with me. Thank you very much!
***4/1/2020 UPDATE: I have added the Q & A page to my homepage on the left. I will be posting the answers to your assignments here. We are all working on the honor code system, which means you actually do the work and then check your answers. Not vice versa!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.